Closed for renovation in 2005, the Cercle has undergone a facelift and reopened in 2011, under the name “Cercle Cité”, to resume its lifelong role: a prestigious meeting place in the heart of the city, but above all an open place that welcomes associations, artists, residents and visitors to the city. The architectural design of the complex is both innovative and welcoming, playing on the contrast between the historic and monumental architecture of the Cercle on the one hand, and the modern aspect of the City on the other.
Laying of the foundation stone for the “Cercle Littéraire” (Literary Circle)
The Cercle becomes the "Municipal Palace" (Stadthaus)
Solemn opening "Kreistag"
Patriotic speech of Prince Félix from the balcony of the Cercle
Red Cross Charity Bazaar
“Human Rights” exhibition
The Cercle becomes the new headquarters of the ECSC
Official opening of the “Ciné Cité”
State visit of Queen Elisabeth II
Visit of the Israeli President Chaim Herzog and his wife
25th anniversary of the accession to the throne of Grand Duke Jean
Visit of the French President François Mitterrand and his wife
Accession to the throne of HRH the Grand Duke Henri
Closing of the Cercle for works
Opening of the Cité socio-cultural center
Inauguration of the Cercle Cité as a whole
Temporary relocation of the Chamber of Deputies to the Cercle Cité, in the frame of the Coronavirus pandemic
Like few other buildings in Luxembourg, the Cercle is a powerful witness of the historical, urban and social development of the City of Luxembourg since the beginning of the 20th century. Built between 1904 and 1909, it is the symbol of municipality - a place of celebration and commemoration, of ceremony and collection, of work and reflection. The Cercle is not only the privileged theatre of the societal life of the capital, but it is also a place of remembrance for national and European history.
The Cercle was a direct witness to the dark times under the Nazi Occupation, but it was also the place where the Liberation was celebrated in 1944 and where Luxembourgers who returned to their homeland were welcomed. In the 1950s the fate of the Cercle was closely linked to that of the “High Authority of the European Coal and Steel Community”, the ancestor of the European Union, whose court sat at the Cercle. At the same time the premises hosted municipal services as well as the "Syndicat d’initiative et de Tourisme".
Subscribe to the newsletter